Pienoismallit.net

1/35 Suomi couple ! BMP-1 & MAZ-537

Hello guys,

I have not given-up working on the MAZ so here are some fresh news.

The kit being completed, I washed it in a soapy water bath, and primed it today, with Humbrol dark grey (I had no more light grey but that one did the trick).

Here are the rear view mirrors

And the primer layer. The pics were taken 5 minutes after the airbrush was cleaned, so some gloss areas show (the paint was not dry) while it now is a full matt primed model.

Camo's next :-D

Richard
Looks very good sofar. Can't wait the camo and finish!:)
Thanks Antti

I have made the first attempt at painting a figure of the diorama, trying to depict the Finn m/62 camouflage

Here is a pic of the same figure under various combination of artificial lights. First one is only with the white primer on. Acrylics were used :

Let me know…

Richard
Viimeksi muokattu 14.11.2009 21:03
It doesn't look quite right. Probably one of the reasons is that the pattern you painted has very sharp edges whereas the real M62 camouflage has very round and smooth pattern like seen in the link you gave.
The real pattern is also denser, if you know what I mean. The colors might also need some adjustments but hard to be sure about that. M62 is probably a pain to get exactly right. In my opinion this pic gives the right idea: www.varusteleka.fi/pictures/thumbs300/3609.jpg
Colours look great, but as far as I know, there were no camouflaged overalls at Finnish army. Also that belt buckle with the soviet star on it doesn't look very likely :)
Basic M/62 combat uniform looked like those on the right:
www.teres.fi/erna/2000/kuvat/kuvat/021_20.JPG
Note also the older style "duck cap" :)

But because there are no figures about finnish pre-war soldiers, I understand your decision to use something similar to it.
I second the opinion above. Not bad, but the pattern could be smaller and denser. From what I can see in the picture you posted, the colors themself look Ok.
The M62 patter is one of those that can show a huge variation in the colours, depending on the amount of wear and years the uniform has seen. This picture found on the same product description with the pic linked above gives a good general idea of the variation.
And as the Finnish Defence Forces' General Order says, colour tones of the jacket and trousers should not be similar :)
I knew I had to ask ! Great ! Thank you for all your comments, that's helpful and much appreciated.

I will try and fix as many issues as I can among the ones you mentioned :

-The pattern has to be denser and smaller
-Edges have to be less sharp than they are ---edit : less angular---
-I'll remove the star on the belt buckle (had not even seen it… can't hide the soviet origin of the figure any longer…)
-and I will try to give a different tone to the pants and vest, so that they meet the Finnish Defence Forces' General Order.

Richard
Viimeksi muokattu 14.11.2009 23:49
Richard Pottier kirjoitti:
I knew I had to ask ! Great ! Thank you for all your comments, that's helpful and much appreciated.

I will try and fix as many issues as I can among the ones you mentioned :

-The pattern has to be denser and smaller
-Edges have to be less sharp than they are
-I'll remove the star on the belt buckle (had not even seen it… can't hide the soviet origin of the figure any longer…)
-and I will try to give a different tone to the pants and vest, so that they meet the Finnish Defence Forces' General Order.

Richard
The mention of the sharpness of the edges was probably about the angularity of the pattern and not the demarcation lines between the colours? (they're quite sharp on the real thing, and would thus be such in 1:35 as well).

Having figures with different tone uniforms would indeed bring a nice bit of variation to the diorama, but I presume the FDF general order thing being a joke? :)
Naturally, one could end up with different tone pants and jacket, but I presume that's because to the people at the laundry depot and not some regulation.
When I served, we usually got uniforms with matching pants and jackets, but the uniforms varied from being made in the mid-1970s to almost brand new.
When I was messing with BMP-1 back in -96 we had overalls with m62 camo. They were used by tank crews and were called "vaunuhaalarit", tank overalls. The fabric was bit different in overalls than the standard m62 suit, it had slight gloss in it and it did not fade much. It was some kind of a synthetic material, enstex I think. As i remember, there was no belt and on the backside of the wasteline there was a flexible area, about 15 cm high and black. I have a pic of myself in those overalls somewhere, I´ll try to find it. And post it for you to see. I´m in the middle of moving myself, so it may be hard to find, but i´ll try.