Pienoismallit.net

1/35 Suomi couple ! BMP-1 & MAZ-537

Jaakko kirjoitti:
No PKM in the 80's either. I think they weren't put into service before around 2003 or so, at least not in any wider scale. The usual light machinegun used in the 80's (and still) is this KvKK 62:
Actually not quite so. Tank Brigade used the PKM machine gun earlier. I believe they were bought at the same time as were the BMP-1s. Here should be noted that these PKMs had a wooden stock and not the black plastic one as on the later versions.
www.mil.fi/maavoimat/kalustoesittely/popup.dsp?id=68

Also it´s worth noting that the 762 RK 56 TP has not been used in training units.
Jukka Purhonen kirjoitti:
Tank Brigade used the PKM machine gun earlier.
Sorry, my fault. From how early on in the 80's?
Good news ! Thanks ;-)
Hei !

Here are pics from the diorama layout testing

I reduced the dimensions because 80x40 cm was definetely too wide so now I have a more "reasonable" 65x35.

Two figs in the foreground with a suitable MG ;-)

Here's an upper transverse view,

Cheers,

Richard
Looking very good indeed. Great job, Richard! As a former BMP-1 commander/gunner I have no choice but to appreciate the level of realism you have achieved here. I was in service 1996 and back then tank crews had RK-62´s but we rarely carried them with us in the tank. Most of the time they sat on the gun racks in our barracks. FN was the official weapon for BMP-1 crew, but those were never delivered to us because too many of those were lost over years. If my memory serves me right, jaegers used RK-62, but AK-47 w/ folding stock was occasionally used in training because it fitted the firing ports in the fighting compartment and RK-62 did not. And the 1st firing port on the left side of the tank housed PKM. AK-47´s and PKM´s came with the tanks, stories been told that they were fitted in the firing ports when BMP-1´s arrived. Also rumours were that with each BMP-1, a UAZ-469 and a Zil-131 was delivered as a complimentary!

Keep up the good work. Can´t wait to see the diorama finished!

P.S. Punch of smaller trees filling spaces would look nice.
I wouldn't say you necessarily need lots of trees. Most of the diorama is road (quite a wide road, I might add) and there's rarely a thick forest just by the road. Most of the trees would probably have been cut down when the road has been built.
Also the amount of trees required depends on what kind of environment the diorama is placed. It's not necessarily in the middle of a forest, it could as well be on a more populated area. In my opinion this layout simply can't be made to give a "in the middle of a forest" feeling since there's not enough space for lots of trees. Of course a suitable background image would help when photographing.

//edited to add:
hto kirjoitti:
Also rumours were that with each BMP-1, a UAZ-469 and a Zil-131 was delivered as a complimentary!
Probably not with each, but it is true that many (most?) Soviet purchases were kind of package deals and included all supporting equipment like trucks and stuff.
Imho, those ditches mentioned by K.K. would certainly add realism for such a wide road. With Google I found some images of Finnish local roads, which I hope would give some idea how those look like down here. The first image is of a road that has apparently had a recent base improvement (perusparannus in Finnish).

A local road with an asphalt surface - linked because it seemed too big to be shown here.

A local road with a gravel (/ oiled gravel?) surface - this one as a link too for the same reason.
Flickr is invaluable resource for diorama reference photos of virtually any subject. Search for Finland and road returns almost 5000 photos and they provide quite a good overview on the subject.

www.flickr.com/search/?q=finland+road&z=e
Very nice.
Hello
Kristian Koskela kirjoitti:
Nice! Are you going to make ditches on roadsides? It also requires a lot of trees. Keep posting!
Aiheeseen liittymätöntä. Klikkaa tästä nähdäksesi tekstin.
Huom! Pysythän aiheessa etkä ota tätä käyttäjän offtopiciksi merkitsemää sisältöä mukaan keskusteluun.
When you'll continue Caracal?
Thanks Kristian !
I think I will make little ditches both sides of the road.
Aiheeseen liittymätöntä. Klikkaa tästä nähdäksesi tekstin.
Huom! Pysythän aiheessa etkä ota tätä käyttäjän offtopiciksi merkitsemää sisältöä mukaan keskusteluun.
I got bored by the Caracal because everything has to be scratchbuilt ! So it has gone back in the stash, waiting for me to grab it back again. Wait and see… ;-)
hto kirjoitti:
Looking very good indeed. Great job, Richard! As a former BMP-1 commander/gunner I have no choice but to appreciate the level of realism you have achieved here. I was in service 1996 and back then tank crews had RK-62´s but we rarely carried them with us in the tank. Most of the time they sat on the gun racks in our barracks. FN was the official weapon for BMP-1 crew, but those were never delivered to us because too many of those were lost over years. If my memory serves me right, jaegers used RK-62, but AK-47 w/ folding stock was occasionally used in training because it fitted the firing ports in the fighting compartment and RK-62 did not. And the 1st firing port on the left side of the tank housed PKM. AK-47´s and PKM´s came with the tanks, stories been told that they were fitted in the firing ports when BMP-1´s arrived. Also rumours were that with each BMP-1, a UAZ-469 and a Zil-131 was delivered as a complimentary!

Keep up the good work. Can´t wait to see the diorama finished!

P.S. Punch of smaller trees filling spaces would look nice.
Thank you hto !!! I am glad that you enjoy my project ! Best reward I could hope for from you Finnish guys !
Thank you very much also for the information about MGs and rifles, thats very much helpful !
Kalle Rantanen kirjoitti:
I wouldn't say you necessarily need lots of trees. Most of the diorama is road (quite a wide road, I might add) and there's rarely a thick forest just by the road. Most of the trees would probably have been cut down when the road has been built.
Also the amount of trees required depends on what kind of environment the diorama is placed. It's not necessarily in the middle of a forest, it could as well be on a more populated area. In my opinion this layout simply can't be made to give a "in the middle of a forest" feeling since there's not enough space for lots of trees. Of course a suitable background image would help when photographing.

//edited to add:
hto kirjoitti:
Also rumours were that with each BMP-1, a UAZ-469 and a Zil-131 was delivered as a complimentary!
Probably not with each, but it is true that many (most?) Soviet purchases were kind of package deals and included all supporting equipment like trucks and stuff.
Thanks for your help Kalle ! I will try and find a good background to suit the diorama when it'll be over !
About the road width, I want to depict one where two vehicles could pass in diferent way (kind of crossing one another on a two ways road) that is why it is quite wide I must admit.
Esko Pellinen kirjoitti:
Imho, those ditches mentioned by K.K. would certainly add realism for such a wide road. With Google I found some images of Finnish local roads, which I hope would give some idea how those look like down here. The first image is of a road that has apparently had a recent base improvement (perusparannus in Finnish).

A local road with an asphalt surface - linked because it seemed too big to be shown here.

A local road with a gravel (/ oiled gravel?) surface - this one as a link too for the same reason.
Thanks Esko !! The first of your pics is the kind of road I want to depict, with the same white sandy look. I will add these ditches.

Very nice of you, and also quite helpful, thank you !
Tomi Mynttinen kirjoitti:
Flickr is invaluable resource for diorama reference photos of virtually any subject. Search for Finland and road returns almost 5000 photos and they provide quite a good overview on the subject.

www.flickr.com/search/?q=finland+road&z=e
Thank you Tomi ! You're right, lots of pics available !

Let me tell you it really seems through these pics that the finland countryside is very beautiful ! Looks like a kind of green paradise !

I'll have a look at flickr to get inspiration.
Nikkeli kirjoitti:
Very nice.
Thank you Nikkeli !

I am glad you all show interest in this project and will try my best to make a nice dio of a typical scenery that could've taken place a few years ago in your beautiful country.

Your support is really a good addition to my being motivated.

Thank you again !

Cheers,

Richard